This may be one of the most vital lessons I have taught this year! I just finished meeting with my small group studying through the 52 Greatest Chapters. Here is the video of our study. The Invisible War—when Paul said we are not “ignorant of his (Satan’s) devices” (2 Cor. 2:11) he was reminding us of what the Bible teaches us about the various tools Satan and his demons, employee to perform “mind games” (that is what the Greek word devices or wiles in Eph. 6:11 mean). Peter expands this from our minds to our bodies when he talks about the ongoing military-type campaign that Satan wages against our bodies through the gateway of “lusts” in 1 Peter 2:11.
We are sometimes unsure of what Satan and his demons can really do. However, Job 1-2 gives us more clear insight from God on what Satan and his demons can do to believers, saints, and Spirit-indwelt one than ANY other passage in the Bible.
Here is a quick summary—
1. BAD NEWS: Satan is always watching our lives and knows all about our health, family, and possessions (Job 1:6-11). Far worse than, the surveillance state we see growing around us with AI, facial-recognition, GPS, and vast databases—are the super-intelligent, aliens that are among us unseen, listening and interfering with both our minds and our bodies.
2. GOOD NEWS: Satan and his demons are limited by God (Job 1:12; 2:6).
3. OMINOUS NEWS: Satan and his demons can move people to kill other humans, steal from them, and destroy things of theirs. Jesus taught that Satan’s goal is to “kill, steal, and destroy” (John 10:10, and this account in Job is the clearest and most powerful illustration of that truth.
4. PERILOUS NEWS: Satan and his demons can stir up bad and harmful weather that injures and kills humans (Job 1:16, 18-19).
5. SICKENING NEWS: Satan and his demons can cause sickness and disease in humans (Job 2:7). Remember how many demon-attacked ailments were in the time of Christ’s ministry?
Now, do you see why Jesus said (Matthew 6:9-13), that we are to be asking God our Father each day to “deliver us from the Evil One”? We need to be aware and asking for Him to PROTECT US, and not float along oblivious to the Invisible War.
Follow Discover the Book Ministries to stay up to date:
Donate to the ministry:
For more of Dr. John Barnett’s Bible teaching messages go to: