Families can be stuck at home and in need of boredom busters for several reasons.
Maybe it is below zero outside, maybe you are avoiding getting exposed to something, maybe you are short of money. Maybe you are trying to work from home and you have the kids there with you.
This post may contain affiliate links, if you buy a suggested product I will earn a small commission. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” Read the full disclosure policy here.
Whatever the reason you are stuck at home you don’t need to be bored. There are hundreds of fun activities to do as a family.
- Play charades using movie titles, songs or T.V. shows
- Family Karaoke–search Sing King on YouTube is a fun channel to get you started
- Family Kazoo Band. If you aren’t sure how to start this book will help you out.
- Put a Puzzle together. This is my favorites and there are so many options from jigsaw puzzles with different size pieces to 3D Wooden puzzles.
- Make a model or a Lego creation get really fancy and add lights to your creation.
- Rearrange a room
- Paint a room, if it is one of the kids’ bedrooms let them pick the color (you may want to exclude black from the options)
- Make a bonfire and make smores or roast hot dogs or bacon over the fire
- Do an obstacle course in the yard
- Do a puppet show, if you don’t have puppets you can make them or stuffed animals will work in a pinch.
- Go for a walk around the neighborhood looking for signs of the season
- Have a murder mystery night
How Do I Stop My Kids From Getting Bored?
Here are even more activities to do as a family when your kids are bored. Some of the lists have only activities to do at home and others have a mixture of at home and away from home activities.?
One of my favorite ways to spend time at home as a family is by having a family game night. This is such a favorite of mine that it has become part of our Christmas, Thanksgiving and sometimes Easter celebrations.
Family goal setting is an awesome way to develop a sense of belonging in the family. Involve your kids in the process to teach them important life skills like goal setting and problem-solving.
Too much screen time often leads to irritable kids. Try some of these fun activities for the kids to do alone or as a family when you are stuck at home.
Go to a craft fair and you will notice a lot of people who are making a side income by selling arts and crafts. I started wondering how many easy crafts that make money could I find with a little research?
As I talked to friends and looked around Pinterest I came up with a lot of options for crafts to give as gifts or sell for extra money.
Fun activities for you to have family time with your teen or for them to do alone. Activities for inside on a rainy or winter day or any reason you need to stay home.
Creativity is a great way to boost your self-esteem, reduce anxiety and improve your mood. Using your creativity gives you a chance to be totally in the present moment which gives you a chance to relax your body and calm your mind.
Wondering how to craft a new life or get clear on your goals? I have a simple answer: Make an inspiration board! The visual representation of the life you want to live will inspire you. Each person in the family can make their own or try making a family inspiration board.
Do your teens need some ideas for productive activities to keep them busy instead of bored? These 15 ideas are just what you need.
If you have a high school senior be sure to take a look at bonus #16 just for kids who want to go to college. Looking for ideas for your teens to do at home? Skip to numbers 8,9,11,12, 14, and 16.
Rituals and routines are tools that help you to make time for memory-making activities even when you have the hectic life of a single parent.
Free Boredom Busters for Families
If you can leave town try some of these virtual experiences to explore the world.
- Livestreams of animals from around the world
- Free computer science classes
- Virtual tours of famous museums
- 1 month free of Kindle Books
- 15 Broadway plays and musicals you can watch at home
- Virtual Tours of National Parks
- Play Where on Google Earth is Carmen Sandieg0
- Ultimate List of Zoos and Aquariums with Online Education
Is It Okay for Kids to Be Bored?
Boredom has many surprising benefits. A little boredom can be a great way to spark creativity. Boredom can be a motivation for change. If you are bored it may spark your kids to pick up a hobby like drawing, playing music or sports. All of those activities need significant practice to be proficient.
Boredom is also an opportunity for self-reflection. Journaling can be a great way to increase self undersanding, but it takes time to sit quietly and thing.
How Do I Fight Summer Boredom?
Three months of summer is fun at first, but by August kids are often missing friends and the structure of school. These two lists are great boredom busters for summertime.
Plan old fashioned summer family fun activities that harken back to a time before teenagers had cell phones and video games were a favorite activity.
These activities will give you a chance to connect with your kids and make memories.
Are you wondering how your teens are going to stay busy all summer? Can you already hear them saying, “I’m bored”?
They could be busy on their electronics vegging out in front of a screen, but there are so many other things they could do. If you are like me the idea of a little screen time for teens is okay, but if that is what they are doing most of the summer it seems like a waste of a summer.